Through our Student Refugee Program (SRP), students, staff, and faculty advisors in Canada have been changing the lives of refugee youth. They provide refugee students with not only an opportunity for resettlement but also the chance to continue their post-secondary education at a Canadian institution.
The commitment and passion of our campus-based WUSC Local Committees across the country has helped many former refugees realize their dreams in Canada. The SRP harnesses that commitment and dedication of volunteers to raise awareness, bring about change, and ultimately foster a new generation of thoughtful, caring, and engaged leaders.
In January 2017, we want to highlight the many positive contributions of our unique refugee sponsorship program by asking you to share a picture that best represents what our SRP means to you. Is it a graduation picture? An arrival selfie? A group photo during a potluck dinner? A trip to the WUSC and CECI International Forum? A candid moment in a classroom?
Are you ready to take on the 2017 #SRPchallenge?
- Find a picture (from 1978-2017) that best represents what the SRP means to you
- Share it on social media with the hashtags #SRPchangeslives #SRPchallenge #withrefugees
- Add a brief description of your picture
- Send the photo to the WUSC Campus Team (email@example.com). We’re creating a photo exhibit to share at the WUSC and CECI International Forum at the end of January!
Ready to take the next step?
Collect photos from your Local Committee members, staff, and faculty advisor(s) that have been involved with WUSC since the beginning to create your own photo exhibit! Organize an event to showcase your exhibit and raise awareness on your campus about the SRP.
- Hold a panel discussion on forced migration and refugee issues;
- Organize a dynamic and interactive info-booth with the SRP photo exhibit;
- Host a lunch and learn;
- Organize a coffee house event with a theme highlighting one of the different countries of asylum where SRP students are recruited, or country of origin;
- And more! Be creative!!
We are really excited to see the pictures you will be sharing. However, before sharing any picture, please ensure that you have:
- The authorization of the people in the picture to share it
- The authorization from the person who took the picture to share it (copyright)
- Make sure to share pictures that will contribute to the positive image of refugees and newcomers in Canada!
If you don’t have any pictures yet, take a look at the Photo 101 Guide for tips on how to take a great photo!